Thursday 9 February 2012

Miriam Defensor Santiago elected as ICC judge


Our very own Miriam Defensor-Santiago is headed to International CriminalCourt(ICC) next year as she ‘overwhelmingly’ won a seat in the prestigious court.miriam defensor santiago
Department of Foreign Affairs reported that Santiago topped the first round elections, getting 79 out of 104 valid votes. She was the first to be picked among 18 candidates vying for the highly powerful international court.
The feisty senator also became the first woman from Asian country to land as ICC judge.
Santiago said in October that she will resign as senator if elected given the honor to serve in ICC.
“I’ll have to resign [as senator]. Isn’t that good news for my enemies? I would have to live in The Hague. I will look like a European and speak like a European and I will be as snooty as a European when I come back,” she said.
Congratulations to Senator Miriam Santiago. Filipinos will surely miss you and your pick-up lines. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment